This is a Beautiful Statue of Saint Benedict
Feast Day Of Saint Benedict ~ July 11th
Patron Saint of ~ Against poison ~ Against witchcraft ~ Agricultural workers ~ Cavers ~ Civil engineers ~ Dying people ~ Gall stones ~ Inflammatory diseases ~ Kidney disease ~ Monks ~ People in religious orders ~ Schoolchildren and students ~Temptations
Front of the St. Benedict Medal
- On the front of the medal is an image of St. Benedict himself, and on both sides of him are the words, “Crux S. Patris Benedicti” (The Cross of the Holy Father Benedict).
- Below St. Benedict’s feet are the words, “Ex S M Casino MCCCCLXXX”(From the Holy Mount of Cassino, 1880). During that year Monte Casino (one of the more important monasteries St. Benedict founded and spent most of his life) was given the exclusive right to produce the medal
- Surrounding St. Benedict are the words, “Ejus in Obitu Nostro presentia muniamur” (May his presence protect us in the hour of death).
Back of the St. Benedict Medal
- On the Back of the St. Benedict medal is a Cross which bears an old Latin prayer. On the vertical beam is the beginning of the prayer: C.S.S.M.L., meaning “Crux Sacra Sit Mihi Lux” (May the Holy Cross be for me a light). And on the horizontal beam, it states N.D.S.M.D., meaning “Non-Draco Sit Mihi Dux” (Let not the dragon be my guide).
- The four large letters surrounding the Cross are C S P B, which stand for “Crux Sancti Patris Benedicti” (The Cross of the Holy Father Benedict).
- Encircling the Cross on the right side are the letters: V.R.S.N.S.M.V., meaning “Vade retro Satana; nunquam suade mihi vana(Begone Satan! Suggest not to me thy vain things).
- Encircling the Cross on the left side are the letters: S.M.Q.L.I.V.B., meaning “Sunt mala quae libas; ipse venena bibas (The drink you offer is evil; drink that poison yourself).
- Above the cross is the word PAX (Peace).
A Prayer to Saint Benedict for Protection
Dear Saint Benedict, I thank God for showering you with His grace to love Him above all else and to establish a monastic rule that has helped so many of His children live full and holy lives.
Through the cross of Jesus Christ, I ask you to please intercede that God might protect me, my loved ones, my home, property, possessions, and workplace today and always by your holy blessing, that we may never be separated from Jesus, Mary, and the company of all the blessed. Through your intercession may we be delivered from temptation, spiritual oppression, physical ills, and disease. Protect us from drug and alcohol abuse, impurity and immorality, objectionable companions, and negative attitudes. In Jesus’ Name.